Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Bitter Night

I said in my heart,
"I will ascend to the heavens,
I will raise my throne above the stars of God,
I will make myself like the Most High."

A fool in his folly.

"The greatest in the Kingdom is the servant of all"

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment?
'You shall love the Lord your God...
and the second is like it...
You shall love your neighbor as yourself"






Even my search to see the Lord is tinged with selfishness.

I want to be like him,
I want to be perfect as my father in heaven is perfect.
I want to see his glory.
I want to be in his presence
I want to share in his power.
I want him to use me in mighty ways.
I want to bring him glory.

Though every instance of his love were to shine a bright, burning star, they would remain encapsulated in a black night sky of egoism.

Were the Lord to cast me aside, disdaining my use, a person forever without meaning or worth, I would hate him for it.

Woe is me, wretched sinner that I am.

Almighty, Omnipotent, Author of life
free me from this cage of self,

Show me not my faults and failings,
for they remain beyond my control,

Rather deign to faucet your healing power
through this imperfect vessel

Let restoration fall on those close at hand
and reveal your power

Meanwhile, keep my focus outward,
attending to needs that I see,

content in the moment to be under grace,
to be as broken within as you please.

No comments:

Post a Comment