Thursday, January 23, 2014

Legends of the Apostle - Part 1



 Not too long ago, and not too far from here, an old man sat alone on a park bench. Head in his hands, gentle sobs shook his shoulders. The cold wind chilled the tears as they fell from his cheeks. He was very alone.

A small hand on his shoulder startled him. Looking up, he saw a small boy, his blue eyes wide.

“What's wrong, mister?” the boy asked. In the playground, the boys mother was watching cautiously, her attention split between the boy and two girls playing tag in the grass.

“Nothing,” the man said, "You run along now, don't mind an addled old fogey.”

The boy's brow scrunched together seriously, "I don't know what a fogey is, but nobody cries about nothing." he hesitated,"but you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. Mom always says I ask too many questions.” The boy wrapped his small arms around the old man's knees. He looked into the man's tired, careworn eyes and smiled a young and joyful smile. 

Tears sprang to the man's eyes again, "It's my son, he's disappeared."

"Did you tell the police?"

"It's not like that. I just can't remember him anymore. I know I had a son. I can remember camping trips and birthday parties. But I can't see his face, or remember his smile, hear his laugh, or recall anything about him. Worst of all, I can't find him and everyone I know tells me I don't have a son, never have. I'm afraid I... I might be losing my mind." The man broke into sobs again.

 “You should talk to the Apostle,” the boy patted the man's shoulder gently, “He'd probably be able to help.”

“The Apostle? He's not a shrink, is he?”

“I dunno." The boy shrugged. "He's the Apostle, he helps people with getting what they need. He helped My mom find her keys one time.”

“Oh really?” The man chuckled. “Do you have his phone number?”

“He doesn't use a phone,” The boy said, pulling a piece of paper from his pocket, “Write a message on this, sign your name, and throw it to the wind. He will meet you here tomorrow.”

“I don't think it works like that, son.” The man smiled sadly.

“Sure it does,” The boy smiled and turned back to his mom and sisters, “You just have to believe.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment